Date:      Thu, 28 Nov 1996 07:46:32 -0500
From:      "Brian J. McGovern" <mcgovern@spoon.beta.com>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /usr/local/etc/*.d...

>Your environment is a typical case where you best move out the entire
>/usr/local/etc e.g. under /etc/local, and put a symlink for it there.

>However, ports&packages policy is to _not_ touch parts of the base
>system, so /etc/<something> is tabu for them.
>
>--
>cheers, J"org
>
>joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/ -- NIC: JW11-RIPE
>Never trust an operating system you don't have sources for. ;-)

I unfortunately agree with this as well. However, as in the past I've had to
tinker with /etc/rc.local to get most of this stuff up, I wouldn't be adverse
to an /etc/rc.d, or some such. Also, this is not a case where the ports or
packages would in and of themselves be touching the base system, but rather
an option that was touched by the system administrator who would like to see
these services run. Configs and what not, can, in my opinion, stay in
/usr/local/etc, or be symlinked someplace in to /etc. Again, the ports/packages
aren't doing the touching.

I think that someplace in /etc should be reserved for startup, /usr/local
(as dumb as it sounds) be retained for shared files, and perhaps another
directory (/usr/reallylocal  ???? :) ) be reserved for specific local configs.
A good example of the "greying" of this area is the XFree config file
(/etc/XF86Config). By definition, shouldn't this live someplace in /usr/X11R6?

Again, just my two cents, but I'm looking at it from minimizing the impact this
change will have on the mid-size to larger user (ie - one system users probably
really don't have to worry about this).

	-Brian