Date:      Sat, 10 May 1997 22:41:27 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Alec Kloss <alec@d2si.com>
To:        jnbbend@frontiernet.net (Jeremy & Beth)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vs. Linux

Jeremy & Beth is responsible for:
> From owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG Sat May 10 20:44:23 1997
> Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 21:28:53 -0400
> From: Jeremy & Beth <jnbbend@frontiernet.net>
> To: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: vs. Linux
> Sender: owner-questions@FreeBSD.ORG

> I'm currently a CS student and we've been using the Sun System V OS. My
> quick question is - what would be the closest match to System V,
> Slackware Linux or FreeBSD?  Is there a difference in the applications?
> or is it just a matter of the kernel?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> jeremy

I'm uncertain what sorts of things you would be trying to do, but if
your school has a program like mine, you probably write lots of C++
programs.  If this is the case, I suspect that either Linux or
FreeBSD could be a good choice for you.  I personally have had more
experience with FreeBSD (which I like because of the excellent
support) whereas Linux is a little less centralized.  If it helps you
decide, I've used FreeBSD to write programs in C, C++, and Scheme
that all had to run on Sun System V to turn them in.