Date:      Sun, 6 Apr 1997 23:20:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dmitry Kohmanyuk <dk@dog.farm.org>
To:        robin!knarf@camelot.de
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kern/2923: panic: vm_fault: fault on nofault entry, addr: f6e21000

In article <m0wDJGm-00037tC@robin.camelot.de> you wrote:
> Hi,

> You, Thomas David Rivers wrote:

> > > If you have any idea how I can make the uptime 6 hrs or higher, please
> > > tell me!
> >
> >  Since I'm guessing this is a different problem; if you'll provide
> > the kgdb traceback and an nm of your kernel (are you running a 2.2.1
> > GENERIC kernel?) and details of your system - it's quite possible your
> > problem isn't as thorny as mine and can be much more readily repaired.

> Ok, I have DDB in the kernel and had another panic.

> I typed `trace' and saw nfs_bioread, nfs_readdir, getdirentries,
> syscall, Xsyscall.

I was getting the same panic (`fault on nofault') while trying to access
NFS-mounted filesystem (happened wish astonishing regularity, about
once a day).  I was able to reproduce it with `make -n' in /usr/src/contrib/gdb .

It looks like a NFS readdir is a trigger.

I changed NFS mount from v3 to v2 (server is NetApp F330, 4.0.1c) and it was
running happily since then.

This was back in 2.2-GAMMA days;  now, that I have non-production 2.2 machine,
I can try to reproduce it with 2.2.1.

--
You are in a twisty little passage of standards, all conflicting.