Date:      Sun, 11 Jun 2000 00:17:53 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Jamie Jones <jamie@bishopston.net>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The Power to Serve England

[Cc: changed to -chat as it seems more appropriate]

On Sun, Jun 11, 2000 at 12:00:43AM +0100, Jamie Jones wrote:

> > Well, since Plaid Cymru and the SNP fought for, and have got,
> > the first step towards independence, because they wanted Wales and
> > Scotland to have a separate identity to England, why is it so wrong
> > for we English to have a separate identity from Scotland and Wales?
> >
> > I wouldn't have a problem with
> > {wales,scotland,ireland}.{consultants,jobs,media.tv} etc.
> >
> > Maybe you, personally, don't hold with devolution but many do and they
> > can't have it both ways.
>
> I thought I made it clear that I was referring to the practicalities
> of duplicating newsgroups, across hierarchies which are similar as
> far as the above mentioned newsgroups are concerned.
>
> This has nothing to do with devloution, or the politics thereof.

The following, from you original post sounded political to me:

	I can see no reason shouldn't be
	under the uk heirarchy, or is this more a political than
	geographical split ?

	[snip]

	What are so special about these groups, as to not include us
	Welsh, or the Scots and Irish ?

If they weren't meant that way then I apologize, I'm not trying to start
a political debate/flamewar here.

> I don't have a "problem" with england.* groups, but it seems silly
> to recreate groups in england.* that are already in uk.* where there
> is no cultural reason to have them duplicated inside england.* (or
> indeed wales.*  etc)

A quick search of my ISPs newsgroups for "england" only threw up these
(except for New England related ones):

  alt.england.sux
  alt.england.sux.scotland.and.wales.rule.the.world
  alt.england.sux.wales.and.scotland.rule.the.world

[no comment]

> I hope the people who set up england.* don't have the same chip on
> their shoulder that you seem to!

I don't have a chip on my shoulder. I obviously misinterpreted your
comments and I apologize.

> Cheers,
> Jamie
>
> ..

        Want a lean, mean, computing machine?
	Get rid of that excess FAT - install FreeBSD