Date:      Thu, 28 Nov 1996 07:57:02 -0600 (CST)
From:      peter@taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
To:        p.richards@elsevier.co.uk (Paul Richards)
Cc:        peter@taronga.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Alpha Based Machines (Was: Re: IBM 57SLC)

> How many of us now have Alphas? I bought 2 multia's last month one of
> which has NT on it and one has Linux. A FreeBSD Alpha port might now
> have enough bodies around to make a good go of it.

I think that if you want to work on BSD on the Alpha you'd probably be better
off working with the NetBSD or OpenBSD folks, who already have ports...

I think that FreeBSD is clearly the easiest and most accessible BSD port out
there, and keeping all the FreeBSD effort behind the one arrow is reasonable,
isn't it? After all, we already have two teams working on the "support all
platforms" front.

Those Multias are damn cute, but I'm afraid that they're a one-shot thing. I
can't seem to convince any of the DEC people I talk to that a REAL PC-priced
Alpha box is an economic necessity if they're going to survive long-term.