Date:      Mon, 25 Nov 1996 10:56:21 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        michaelh@cet.co.jp (Michael Hancock)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, nate@mt.sri.com, gclarkii@main.gbdata.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Who needs Perl? We do!

Michael Hancock stands accused of saying:

> Python is more useful to me than Perl.  I'd rather see Python go into the
> base than Perl.  Python has less bloat, is a prettier language, is
> stable, and stress-tested (see infoseek).

You're the first person to ask for Python in the base system.  There
have been hundreds of feet on the Perl road over the last year or so.

Supply and demand, I guess you could say.

> Of course, we don't want to have a base w/o a Java VM too.  Everyone else
> has plans to include one.

*shrug* If Java really takes off, rather than becoming the next
interpreted COBOL, and a decent interpreter comes along, then it would
be remiss of us not to dump the compiler and all our other
interpreters and... No, wait, that's Solaris.