Date:      Fri, 18 Nov 2005 20:26:47 -0800
From:      George Hartzell <hartzell@kestrel.alerce.com>
To:        FreeBSD-mobile list <freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Release 6.0 laptop network interface configuration.

I'm updating my IBM T42p (2379-DYU) from 5.3-BETA4 to 6.0.

I have ath0 working by adding WPA and DHCP to an ifconfig_ath0 line in
/etc/rc.conf.  em0 almost works by putting DHCP into an ifconfig_em0
line (dhclient doesn't always die when I pull the cable, I had similar
problems with fxp0 on an older sony, Brooks is helping with it).

Here's my question:  I'd like to be able to specify a general
configuration (e.g. WPA and DHCP for ath0, DHCP for em0), but not have
them come up automagically.  I'm content running a command (I figure
I'll eventually tie the command to buttons via acpi_ibm), and adding
ifconfig_{ath,em}0 lines to /etc/rc.conf and running

  /etc/rc.d/netif start {ath0, em0}

by hand seems to work.

The problem is that I can't seem to keep all of the interfaces from
automagically configuring.

I've tried playing with setting network_interfaces="" and "lo0", but
the others still come up.

What's the 6.0 state of the art for setting up a laptop that runs
around a lot?

Thanks,

g.