Date:      Mon, 28 Jun 1999 21:28:27 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nclayton@lehman.com>, jdp@freebsd.org, freebsd-translate@ngo.org.uk, doc@freebsd.org, Jun Kuriyama <kuriyama@sky.rim.or.jp>, Motoyuki Konno <motoyuki@snipe.rim.or.jp>
Subject:   Re: Resolution: FDP reorganisation

--PEIAKu/WMn1b1Hv9

John,

On Fri, Jun 25, 1999 at 09:55:16AM -0700, John Polstra wrote:
> - You tar it up and extract a copy onto your own machine or into
>   your home directory on freefall.
>
> - Working in your local copy, you arrange the tree the way you want
>   it.  The rules are:
>
>   - You can't delete, rename, or modify any existing files or
>     directories.
>
>   - Directories must be mode 775
>
>   - Files must be mode 444
>
> - When you're happy with your local copy, you tar it up and give it
>   to me.

I've just done this for you test out.  The generated .tar.gz file is
huge (roughly 6 MB in size).  Mine is but a puny modem, and I'd spend
ages uploading it.

So, here are my notes on what I did, accompanied by a small shell script
that recreates the actions I did.

To use it, make sure you have the doc/ repository in /home/ncvs/doc, and
plenty of spare room in /var/tmp/.  A /var/tmp/FDP directory will be
created, and all the work is carried out in there.

6MB to 4KB.  What an incredible compression ratio :-)

Obviously, don't run this on the live tree just yet (!).  But if you could
test it out and let me know if it's what you want.

That goes to anyone else who wants a feel for how doc/ will look when this
is done.

 [intentional self-reference] can be easily accommodated using a blessed,
 non-self-referential dummy head-node whose own object destructor severs
 the links.
    -- Tom Christiansen in <375143b5@cs.colorado.edu>

--PEIAKu/WMn1b1Hv9

			 The Revised doc/ Repository

How to repeat what I did
------------------------

This is how I did this.  CVS experts should run over the changed repository to
confirm that I haven't made any stupid errors.

This is what I did, with commentary

1.  Take a copy of the doc/ repository, and work on the copy

      % cd /var/tmp
      % mkdir FDP
      % cd FDP
      % cp -rp /home/ncvs/doc .
      % cd doc

2.  Fix the English hierarchy

    2.1   Use the new scheme for en/

            % cp -rp en en_US.ISO_8859-1

    2.2   Make the books/ directory, and move the books under that directory.
          Note that we can move files here, because we're now in a directory
	  that CVS didn't originally know about.

	    % cd en_US.ISO_8859-1
	    % mkdir books
	    % mv handbook books
	    % cd books/handbook
	    % mv handbook.sgml,v book.sgml,v
	    % cd ../..
	    % mv tutorials/docproj-primer books/fdp-primer

    2.3  Make the articles/ directory, and move the articles under there,
         renaming the directories and files as we go.

	    % mkdir articles

	    % mv tutorials/devel articles/programming-tools
	    % mv articles/programming-tools/devel.docb,v \
	         articles/programming-tools/article.sgml,v

            % mv tutorials/diskformat articles/formatting-media
	    % mv articles/formatting-media/diskformat.docb,v \
	         articles/formatting-media/article.sgml,v

            % mv tutorials/fonts articles/fonts
	    % mv articles/fonts/fonts.docb,v \
	         articles/fonts/article.sgml,v

            % mv tutorials/mh articles/mh
	    % mv articles/mh/mh.docb,v articles/mh/article.sgml,v

	    % mv tutorials/multios articles/multi-os
	    % mv articles/multi-os/multios.docb,v \
	         articles/multi-os/article.sgml,v

            % mv tutorials/newuser articles/new-users
	    % mv articles/new-users/newuser.docb,v \
	         articles/new-users/article.sgml,v

    2.4  Leave the FAQ alone.  When it is converted to DocBook (my next task
         after this) it will be placed in the books/ directory.  But we can do
	 this without needing to do repository copies.

3.  Fix the Spanish hierarchy

    3.1  Use the new scheme for es/

            % cd ..
	    % cp -rp es es_ES.ISO_8859-1

         That's it.  The FAQ stays where it is, for the same reason as the
	 English version.

4.  Fix the Japanese hierarchy

    4.1  Use the new scheme for ja

            % cp -rp ja ja_JP.eucJP

    4.2  Make the books/ directory, and move the handbook under that
         directory.

	    % cd ja_JP.eucJP
	    % mkdir books
	    % mv handbook books
	    % cd books/handbook
	    % mv handbook.sgml,v book.sgml,v

	 Leave the FAQ where it is, for the previously stated reasons.

5.  Fix the Russian hierarchy

    5.1  Use the new scheme for ru/

            % cd ../../..
	    % cp -rp ru ru_SU.KOI8-R

	 Again, the FAQ stays where it is relative to that hierarchy.

6.  Fix the Chinese hierarchy

    6.1  Use the new scheme for zh

           % cp -rp zh zh_TW.Big5

Things that must be done before this is complete

1.  "cvs remove" the following;

      doc/en/       - *after* converting tutorials/{ddwg,ppp} to DocBook
      doc/ja/
      doc/ru
      doc/es
      doc/zh

2.  Fix up the Makefiles to use the new structure

3.  Fix up the markup of most of the things in the articles/ directory.  They
    are marked up as books, but are not nearly long enough to be classed as
    books.  As near as I can tell they are marked up this way because a
    DocBook <book> was the easiest markup to copy from other sources -- I've
    done the same thing myself.

    They should be marked up as books.
--PEIAKu/WMn1b1Hv9

#!/bin/sh

[...]