Date:      Sat, 11 Apr 1998 00:33:34 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Frank Pawlak <fpawlak@execpc.com>
To:        jktheowl@bga.com
Cc:        schwenk@voicenet.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Re[2]: Fw: Your Article "Freeware: The Heart & Soul of the  Int ernet"

I just did a book search on the title words Berkeley UNIX at
www.amazon.com and several titles showed up.  Two of the titles I own
and would recommend be placed on the must read list along with Greg's
book.  BTW, Greg's book is listed as back ordered and has been for the
past several weeks.

They are:

Berkeley UNIX; A Simple and Comprehensive Guide, by James Wilson.  This
is a textbook used a Stanford University.  Cost $25.00 US

An Introduction To Berkeley UNIX and ANSI C, by Jack Hodges. Cost aboy
$37.00 US

Both titles cover basic commands and shell programming.

Lastly a book that I picked at the University of Wisconsin bookstore.

A Practical Guide To the UNIX System by Mark G. Sobell.  This one
covers Berkeley Software Distribution 4.3BSD.  Has lot of depth on
commands, files system etc.

The point is that there are commercial publications out there, not in
near the numbers devoted to Linux, but in my opinion of better quality.

BTW, amazon.com allows others to sell for them through web site links
and retain a share of the profits.  Maybe an idea for the FreeBSD group
to look into and provide easy access to publications that cover our
beloved OS.

Regards,
Frank