Date:      Thu, 28 Nov 1996 11:09:48 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@quickweb.com>
To:        Peter da Silva <peter@taronga.com>
Cc:        Paul Richards <p.richards@elsevier.co.uk>, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Alpha Based Machines (Was: Re: IBM 57SLC)

On Thu, 28 Nov 1996, Peter da Silva wrote:

> > How many of us now have Alphas? I bought 2 multia's last month one of
> > which has NT on it and one has Linux. A FreeBSD Alpha port might now
> > have enough bodies around to make a good go of it.
>
> I think that if you want to work on BSD on the Alpha you'd probably be better
> off working with the NetBSD or OpenBSD folks, who already have ports...
>
> I think that FreeBSD is clearly the easiest and most accessible BSD port out
> there, and keeping all the FreeBSD effort behind the one arrow is reasonable,
> isn't it? After all, we already have two teams working on the "support all
> platforms" front.
>
> Those Multias are damn cute, but I'm afraid that they're a one-shot thing. I
> can't seem to convince any of the DEC people I talk to that a REAL PC-priced
> Alpha box is an economic necessity if they're going to survive long-term.

Not necessarily - have you looked at their Celebris line of "personal
workstations" ?? They're still a little pricey, but not too bad
considering you can swap out the standard PPro for an Alpha daughtercard.
I'm running one right now (got it at cost) and it's a decent PC /
workstation.

I don't think they're racing for PC priced Alpha's
because they're waiting for a 64-bit NT. If you look at pretty much
everything DEC has been doing lately, it can be summarized as sucking up
to Microsoft... They are betting on NT in a big way, and they want to be
the first platform that a 64-bit NT runs on. Internal rumors say the deal
was roughly "We'll give you clusters for NT, you make NT run 64-bit on
our Alpha". With the PPro really getting up there in performance (and
price), the Alpha may finally have a competitor - which I think is good
cause it will attract attention in the business world. The Alpha has the
advantage (real or not) of being 64-bit. If they can convince Mickeysoft
to make a 64-bit NT, they're going to have a foot hold on the high-end NT
marketplace. They could actually win - and we might get cheap Alphas!

Nevertheless, reasonably priced Alpha's in the meantime would be nice! I
haven't tried the Linux Alpha combo yet - is it any good?? I run DEC Unix
on a few workstations at the lab I work at, and it's excellent, but quite
pricey...

BTW - DEC's new policy is that EVERY piece of Alpha hardware they produce
will run NT as well as DEC Unix.

-Mark

| Mark Mayo		  mark@quickweb.com       |
| RingZero Comp.  	  vinyl.quickweb.com/mark |
"To iterate is human, to recurse divine."
		- L. Peter Deutsch