Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 2001 08:03:26 -0500
From:      "Person, Roderick" <personrp@ccbh.com>
To:        'Alpha FreeBSD' <freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Noname Serial Port Info.....

------_=_NextPart_001_01C0A186.D668B5D0

I was just passing this along, I found this at http://www.unix-ag.org. Just
in case any one is having or will have as much trouble as I was trying to
use an external modem on a Noname Alpha. I never found any thing saying this
on freebsd.org or ftp.dec.com so I thought it might no be well know. If it
is sorry.

+++++++++++
The Noname's serial ports are wired somewhat unusual. Normal PC connectors
are wired from board to connector (9 pin SUB-D) 1-1 2-6 3-2 4-7 and so on.
The
Noname uses another scheme, i.e. 1-1 2-2 3-3 4-4 5-5 and so on. The OEM
design guide is also very confusing here.
When wired wrong the serial ports will not work at all. Also MILO is at
default compiled to echo it's output to the first serial port. If the ports
are wired incorrectly or a mouse is connected to the first port MILO will be
become confused and print unusual nonsense.

Roderick P. Person
Programmer II
personrp@ccbh.com

"To hell with the public! I'm here to represent the people!"

     - A New Jersey state senator

------_=_NextPart_001_01C0A186.D668B5D0

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2651.75">
<TITLE>Noname Serial Port Info.....</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I was just passing this along, I found this at <A =
HREF=3D"http://www.unix-ag.org" =
TARGET=3D"_blank">http://www.unix-ag.org</A>. Just in case any one is =
having or will have as much trouble as I was trying to use an external =
modem on a Noname Alpha. I never found any thing saying this on =
freebsd.org or ftp.dec.com so I thought it might no be well know. If it =
is sorry.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>+++++++++++</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>The Noname's serial ports are wired somewhat =
unusual. Normal PC connectors</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>are wired from board to connector (9 pin SUB-D) 1-1 =
2-6 3-2 4-7 and so on. The</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Noname uses another scheme, i.e. 1-1 2-2 3-3 4-4 5-5 =
and so on. The OEM</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>design guide is also very confusing here.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>When wired wrong the serial ports will not work at =
all. Also MILO is at</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>default compiled to echo it's output to the first =
serial port. If the ports</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>are wired incorrectly or a mouse is connected to the =
first port MILO will be</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>become confused and print unusual nonsense.</FONT>
</P>
<BR>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Roderick P. Person</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Programmer II</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>personrp@ccbh.com</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&quot;To hell with the public! I'm here to represent =
the people!&quot; </FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; - A New Jersey state senator =
</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>