Date:      Thu, 23 May 2019 18:34:46 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Time to retire PC Card (but not CardBus)

Greetings,

Now that a number of 16-bit drivers have been retired, I think it's time to
retire 16-bit PC Card / PCMCIA cards. The 32-bit CardBus cards are still
alive and kicking, but the need for 16-bit PC Cards has passed. It's time
to retire it.

I've floated this idea before, and there was broad support for it. I've
held off until after FCP 101 deprecation was playing out. We've not pushed
that into the tree. This is the logical next step. FreeBSD 12.x will be the
last release with 16-bit PC Card support.

My plan is to add deprecation notices to the remaining PC Card drivers,
merge those back to FreeBSD 11 and 12. Once that's done, I plan on removing
the 16-bit support. I have a few minor bug fixes to that which I'll push in
before I retire it, and merge those fixes.

My plan is to give about a month for the community to discuss this plan
before I add the warnings. If there's resistance, we'll go with more formal
data collection and deprecation. If there's none, I'll go ahead.

This affects the following drivers: an, cmx, fdc, puc, uart, wi, bt3c, ata.

Warner