Date:      Thu, 28 Nov 1996 12:12:50 -0500
From:      brianc@milkyway.com (Brian Campbell)
To:        roberto@keltia.freenix.fr (Ollivier Robert)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: libc

Ollivier Robert writes:
> According to Brian Campbell:
> > Further, it appears that someone (a new RFC?  what number?) decided, in
> > libc.so.3, that underscores, slashes and who-knows-what-else are invalid
> > characters in DNS.  So a lot of time gets wasted (on traceroute or
> > netstat) resolving names that the resolver code in libc will refuse to
> > display.
>
> "_" has never been officially allowed in hostnames. Paul Vixie decided to
> enforce this in 4.9.4. There is a command you can put in named.boot to
> allow them.
>
> This is a named issue, not a resolver one.

Well, I'd love to know command/option to put in named.boot.

However, I suspected that at first so built the resolver from stable
(which I assume was 2.1.5).  Since I didn't have the problem in 2.1.5 I
figured running its resolver would be the cure.  It wasn't.  Same
effect.

However, building host, or traceroute, or netstat with libc.so.2.2 and
libresolv.so did fix the problem.

I don't believe this is a named problem.

However, now that I think of it... I was running the 2.1.5 named when I
rebuilt host/traceroute and tested them.  Perhaps both have to be
changed.  I'm not sure and can't test it at the moment.  Changing named
itself isn't sufficient though.