Date:      Fri, 01 Aug 2008 18:02:27 +0100
From:      Angus MacGyver <macgyver@calibre-solutions.co.uk>
To:        Anton Shterenlikht <mexas@bristol.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: future for FBSD on alpha

On Fri, 2008-08-01 at 16:35 +0100, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
On Fri, Aug 01, 2008 at 10:20:51AM -0500, Richard J. Valenta wrote:
> I am not familiar with bsdstats at all...

> My interest is in lobbying fbsd management team not to drop alpha
> support by showing a large number of live fbsd alpha systems. At present
> the numbers are so low that even RELENG_6 support might stop soon.
> If more people participated and a more realistic (read higher) number
> of alpha boxes appeared, perhaps we could prolong the life of fbsd on alpha.
> However, I agree with Wilko, fbsd on alpha is half dead.
>
> anton

bsdstats - Neither was I.
Not something that has exactly jumped out at me when installing at any
point - unlike say other platforms (/methinks suse/ubuntu/fedora - let
alone M$)

Perhaps if that had been the case - more people would have known about
it and participated and this situation may have bought the platform more
time.

- again as Wilko said - water under bridge :(

/me fires up current BSD boxes to do just that - pity it's for a VIA C7

But as with anything open source - it never really dies - there is
nothing to stop people interested enough, taking that code and
continuing the work - should they choose to do so.
(ignoring actually the part of doing it)

Ditto with the vast majority of software that is run on the systems.

Now - I'm not as familiar with the whole FBSD project "heirachy" or
nooks and crannies of the BSD license - nor am I familiar enough about
such issues as "forking" - but if pressure is enough - people do
actually take on these sort of things.
(I'm intentionally skipping if this would be a good idea etc. - I'm
pointing out what is hard^H^H^H^H possible.)

Let's face it - due to the age of the AXP platform - what else "new"
would anyone want into the kernel for example ?
Maybe better SMP - but I'd suggest that it's not like there is much else
hardware wise that we would be putting into these machines is it ?
That would/could remain fairly static.

Security fixes is another matter however ......

I was going to mention alphacore - a Fedora Linux for Alpha - but then
saw looked rather dead until i came across ..
http://alphacore.info/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1785

OK- it ain't FBSD - but - might prolong those systems for a bit
longer ???

again - my ~$0.04 (at today's exchange rate :-/ )

AM