Date:      Thu, 7 Oct 1999 20:49:45 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, Joel Sutton <jsutton@bbcon.com.au>, freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linux convert...

On Wed, Oct 06, 1999 at 11:43:03PM +0100, Nik Clayton wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 06, 1999 at 01:20:26AM -0700, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> > Ah, you aren't familiar with the FreeBSD much hyped
> > (or maybe not hyped enough... hrm) "make world" facility.
> >
> > http://www.nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk/FreeBSD/make-world/make-world.html
>
> For future reference:  the version of this that's now in the Handbook
> is the canonical version.  The URL above will (this weekend) be replaced
> with a pointer to the Handbook.

I used this doc when I did my first cvsup src-all. One thing that
should be changed is the reference to using dircmp.pl "which is
installed by default on FreeBSD versions 2.0 and above". Not on
3.1 it ain't (and it doesn't run under perl5 either). This should
be changed to mergemaster (in the ports).

> --
>  [intentional self-reference] can be easily accommodated using a blessed,
>  non-self-referential dummy head-node whose own object destructor severs
>  the links.
>     -- Tom Christiansen in <375143b5@cs.colorado.edu>

STATE-OF-THE-ART: Any computer you can't afford.
OBSOLETE: Any computer you own.