Date:      Fri, 14 May 2004 14:16:23 -0400
From:      Jesse Guardiani <jesse@wingnet.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: firewire cardbus recommendations?

Bruce M Simpson wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 11:55:26AM -0400, Jesse Guardiani wrote:
>> Does anyone have one that they recommend for use with 5.2.1? I know
>> that `man fwohci` lists workable chipsets, but I find it difficult
>> to find cardbus cards that list the chipset.
>
> I use the Ratoc Systems CBFW1. This card is based on the NEC uPD72861
> chipset and is fully supported by the fwohci(4) driver.
>
> This card in particular is good because it uses a dongle with a DC
> power injector jack (for use with any generic DC power supply), a 6-pin
> connector, and a 4-pin connector.
>
> It even has a friendly picture of a dinosaur in a red bow-tie on it.

I ended up going with a Belkin F5U512 cardbus card. Works great! It too
comes with an external dongle with a power injector jack and two 6 pin
ports. It also came with a 4 pin to 6 pin cable. It uses the NEC uPD72874
chipset.

The real selling point for me was the fact that I bought it shipped to my
door on ebay for $23.

I originally thought the external dongle was a good thing, because it allows
me to use other Type2 cardbus cards along side it (like my 56k modem), but
it turns out that it still obstructs the use of my 56k pccard, so if I had
it to do over again I think I would go with a card with an integrated jack
on the end. The dongle on this thing is really flimsy. I just know it's
going to get ripped off someday...

Other than the flimsy dongle issue it's a great card though! And if you really
DO need the space, then the dongle is probably the only way to go...

--
Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator
WingNET Internet Services,