Date:      Tue, 11 Feb 2003 15:24:39 -0800
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Open Watcom compiler

On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 08:44:35AM +1100, Peter Jeremy wrote:

> Note that Andrew said "convert" not "replace and avoid".

I know. I'd like us to stop using inline assembly gratuitously.
On the ia64 platform we have C functions of which the body is
99% assembly. This doesn't make sense really and tends to be
less optimal (and less readable) than pure assembly.

Another reason is that optimizers generally pessimize when inline
assembly is present. On ia64 this is especially true due to the
dependency constraints. There's no compiler (AFAICT) that truely
knows about all the dependencies.

Ok, sometimes inline assembly is the only good solution. In that
case it's acceptable to pay for the burden of having multiple
implementations and/or other complexities. But I don't think that
a 1:1 conversion is beneficial.

> I don't know what the OW support for inline assember is.

I think it's mostly incompatible. I haven't used it much, because I
tend to create an assembly file, but it's definitely something I'll
dig into.