Date:      Wed, 30 Jul 1997 13:51:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Pechter <pechter@lakewood.com>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sysadmin levels today?

Re: the current state of the industry:

> Ahh, but you assume that we haven't ever seen [name withheld] before.
> Unfortunately, his behavior is 'typical', in that he wants us to do all
> his research and work for him, rather than him spending the time to do
> his own work.  He also shows a complete lack of interest in finding out
> solutions to his own problems.
>
> I've dealt with him too many times over the last 2 years to have
> anything but pity on any company he works for, since he will require
> hand-holding and doesn't do anything on his own.
>
> Nate

Nate:  You probably don't have time to read this so you can blow it off.
Ignore the flame... I'm just venting.  I'm redirecting to -chat.

Isn't the above the current state of the business.

I see a problem in the current state of the the art in Sysadmin-hood.
I just went on a job interview this morning (headhunter) where I was
asked if I know how to tune a kernel.

Isn't that Intro to Sysadmin type stuff... remove unneeded devices, check
vmstat, SAR, etc...   I used to do Sysadmin training and I was shocked that
people are screening Admin types with a simple question like that.

Boy, I'm tired of watching the CNE, MSCNE types around work be unable to fix
stuff without forty phone calls to tech support.
Is the Sun/SCO/AIX certification process any better than Novell's paper CNEs?

Is this just a $$$ generator for the company doing the certification and
Drake testing?

Bill

 Bill Pechter | 17 Meredith Drive Tinton Falls, NJ 07724 | 908-389-3592
 pechter@lakewood.com | Save computing history, give an old geek old hardware.
 This msg brought to you by the letters PDP and the number 11.