Date:      Tue, 9 Jan 1996 15:20:46 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Paul Richards <p.richards@elsevier.co.uk>
To:        jmb@FreeBSD.ORG (Jonathan M. Bresler)
Cc:        paul@netcraft.co.uk, jkh@time.cdrom.com, jehamby@lightside.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Prognosis of 2.2-960107-SNAP

> On Mon, 8 Jan 1996, Paul Richards wrote:
>
> > Isn't there some mathematical puzzle that says something like, you
> > only need 27 people in a room for one of them to have a birthday the
> > same day as yours? Given the numbers we have, we've probably got
> > every day covered.

Yeah, well, having now been prompted by all these responses I remember
the "puzzle" properly,

"How many people do you need to have in the same room for there to be a
50% chance that two of them have the same birthday"

> 	here is a bc function to calculate the odds of ANY two people in
> a group having the same birthday

Some people have too much spare time on their hands :-)

I seemed to miss  a lot of the math classes when I was in college, I
think they were in the morning or something :-)

--
  Paul Richards. Originative Solutions Ltd.
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 1225 447500 (work)