Date:      Sun, 7 Sep 2003 08:02:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Ethan <telmnstr@757.org>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: new freebsd slogan!!!

> access via serial terminal.  After two years, the disk failed, quite
> literally grinding to a halt.  The disk was replaced, the RAM upgraded
> to 64MB, and 4.3-R installed with the same configuration.  To date,

I don't know if your interested, but if you check ebay and other sources
there are adaptors that fit compact flash cards on the IDE bus. Compact
flash cards / pcmcia is basically IDE to begin with. They work well.

Unfortunately one of my biggest projects using them is causing me much
grief. I'm trying to get gphoto2 to run on FreeBSD, but it doesn't seem to
work (the rc3 version that supports ptp digital cameras via USB). It works
fine in Linux. I'm using 5.0 so I'm going to drop back to 4.8 and retest.
Once it is done and working in FreeBSD I hope to try to scale it so it all
fits on a 64mb compact flash card.

Just don't write log files or anything to the flash, as it can wear out
pretty quickly if it is constantly rewritten.

We paid $200 for 22 3.5" floppy bay compact flash to IDE adaptors.

Using most of them for point of sale applications where the machines were
booting from floppy, but are now booting from a 4mb flash card.

I will be demoing a linux system using a 256mb one to play 200mb worth of
mpeg1 on an optibase card soon (No optibase videoplex drivers for freebsd
:-( ).

The freebsd flash based systems will be digital camera controllers. They
are SBC pentium 150s.

			-- Ethan