Date:      Fri, 27 Nov 1998 11:46:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>
To:        cnielsen@pobox.com
Cc:        Paolo Di Francesco <paipai@tin.it>, freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Ultra] Compiler, again

On Fri, 27 Nov 1998, Christopher Nielsen wrote:

> > > I prefer GNU make to BSD make, but it's still not good advice.
> > > FreeBSD uses BSD make, and if we start requiring two different makes
> > > to build the product, we're going to have both procedural trouble and
> > > lots of resistance from the core team.
>
> I agree emphatically with staying with BSD make. This -is- BSD that we're
> porting after all. Starting down the path of gmake will only make it more
> difficult later.

*nod*

> > In the future, we can use gcc if it will support UltraSparc, but now
> > no egcs no UltraFreeBSD. For the userland maybe we will have more
> > problems. Anything will be compiled with egcs if gcc does not support
> > Ultra, and this means we cannot distribute sources and the compiler,
> > because we must use gcc for the userland.  (I think)
>
> gcc supports sparc64-elf. I have gcc-2.7.2 built as a cross-compiler for
> sparc64-elf (actually, I have the entire toolchain built). FreeBSD is
> still using gcc-2.7.x as a compiler, so it probably won't be too difficult
> to integrate sparc64 support.
>
> I'll see if I can throw together some documentation by the end of the
> weekend on how to build the toolchain.

I've been pulling my hair out trying to do this, i downloaded the source
rpms like you suggested... they both come with several patches which i
applied, but then it got all confusing.

Basically, each source rpm comes with a huge patchfile along with several
other patch files, the huge patchfile i apply in the directory above the
source tree, and it patches the source tree, however it also makes a
directory where there are duplicate files of the tree.

If i merge this directory into the extracted directory then
configure/compile it seems to work as then the binutils compiled fine,
however i think i messed up the flags i ghave to configure because while
this "method" of building worked for binutils, it seems that the same
flags passed to configure for gcc produce an empty makefile. :(

I was hoping to make a pkg but I can't seem figure this out.

-Alfred