Date:      Thu, 10 Apr 1997 17:08:22 +1000
From:      David Nugent <davidn@unique.usn.blaze.net.au>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        mdavis@io.cts.com, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: games hierarchy breaks 2.2.1 build

On Wed Apr  9 21:07:26 EST 1997, John Polstra writes:
> In article <199704100240.TAA01263@io.cts.com>,
> Morgan Davis  <mdavis@io.cts.com> wrote:
> > Disregard.  I found the problem.
> >
> > For the edification of others, let me report my mistake...
> > [...]
> > Although /usr/src/games did not exist, it was the none-too-obvious
> > /usr/obj/usr/src/games that did which caused the problem.
>
> Really?!  That seems like completely bogus behavior on the part of "make".
> Could you please use "send-pr" to file a bug report?

Bogus or not, it makes sense in terms of how make handles
the object directory and is consitent with how it behaves
with all files relative to the "current" directory.

.if exists(games) && !defined(NOGAMES)
SUBDIR+= games
.endif

This test (and others of a similar type) should be changed to:

.if exists(${.CURDIR}/games) && !defined(NOGAMES)
SUBDIR+= games
.endif

Regards,

David Nugent - Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
Voice +61-3-9791-9547  Data/BBS +61-3-9792-3507  3:632/348@fidonet
davidn@freebsd.org davidn@blaze.net.au http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn/