Date:      Tue, 9 Mar 2004 2:39:45 -0500
From:      <dashevil@sympatico.ca>
To:        <freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Re: Desktop FreeBSD

> I do agree that FreeBSD is an amazing Operating System
> and would be a great way to go for a desktop system.
> Various *BSD have their strengths.  I referenced
> EkkoBSD for a potential installer, just tossing out
> some ideas.  Please keep in mind that I do enjoy the
> current installer, I wouldn't change it.

Yea, I don't know what to expect out of EkkoBSD though as I haven't seen an ISO that uses the graphical installer. Regardless, looking into it is a great idea as there may be a good portion of code that we'll be able to salvage. I really wish that EkkoBSD's first step should have been with that installer, no matter how buggy it actually was. It is, in essence, all that EkkoBSD is (from my understanding).

I never implied that we should change the current FreeBSD CD in any way, my idea is for an additional CD that utilizes the same packages with a different installer and a different default setup. A 'Workstation' CD.

I know that there are people working on this, but I still think that the ports/pkg_add system isn't being exploited to its maximum benefit. GUI tools for these (that allowed you to download binaries off ftp://ftp.freebsd.org would provide something equal to (if not greater than) the Lin---ws [What a stupid name] click and add/whatever functionality. Only the FreeBSD one is, well, free.