Date:      Fri, 5 Apr 1996 18:27:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      Michael Dillon <michael@memra.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recommendation Needed for server setup

On Fri, 5 Apr 1996, Alan Batie wrote:

> about once a month (well, maybe a quarter).  If all the crackers are
> poking at sendmail and ignoring smail, that's still a good reason to
> use in my book.  Besides, the main reason I run it is that you can
> actually configure it without a configuration compiler and a personal
> guru :-)

If anyone is seriously considering switching to smail, you should also
have a look at smapd from the TIS firewall toolkit at ftp.tis.com.
SMAPD acts as an SMTP proxy giving hackers nothing to poke at. It passes
the mail over to sendmail for the normal processing. This way, sendmail
only talks to the simpleminded and well-known smapd which is totally
under your control.

Michael Dillon                                    Voice: +1-604-546-8022
Memra Software Inc.                                 Fax: +1-604-546-3049
http://www.memra.com                             E-mail: michael@memra.com