Date:      Tue, 16 Feb 1999 09:32:27 +0100 (MET)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
To:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   creatix s0/16 - components on PCB

I had this strange effect that I could not call my
ISDN telephone from outside while BISDN was running
resp. my creatix card (S0/16) was enabled.

Last time I tried this (still under BISDN) I shut down
my machine remotely and due to that being a VLB MB with a broken
keyboard reset and CPU reset didn't work either I called my wife
do go down into the cellar and press that black stub reset button
in the middle of that open PC case (hard enough to describe her
how to locate the button). Anyway, while doing that I had called her
on the ISDN phone on the same TA/S0 bus.

We could hardly conversate because a terrible noise was heard in
the phone. I said that I could not call the phone from outside
when BISDN was running. But since BISDN/FreeBSD was shut down
and hanging at the 'Rebooting' prompt I was suddenly able
to call the phone from outside- but with this noise, though.

Now when she pushed the reset button the noise suddelny was
gone and I could talk to her clear and loud.

I'm telling this whole story because I'm suspecting
some problem with my creatix card which ever since I was owning it
(I bought it in very ancient ISDN times from a small firm in Krefeld)
one SMD device (a cap or resitor probably) was missing in the
upper left to middle area of the card.
It looked like that component had been desoldered advertently.

I'm asking now if anyone out there who has a Creatix S0/16
can take a look at that card and tell me (with a looking glass
perhaps) what the small SMD components in the upper left of the
middle area are. Maybe I'll put up a scan of the card later today
and pinpoint the compnonent (missing component).