Date:      Wed, 23 Jul 1997 19:28:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Gary D. Margiotta" <gary@tbe.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>, Anthony.Kimball@East.Sun.COM, kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de, sos@sos.freebsd.dk, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: building RAID systems

> 	IDE 6.1 GB drive:  $549
> 	IDE 3.6 GB drive:  $340
>
> If Joe Blow is looking for capacity over speed, it's hard to see how
> he'll be able to resist deals like that in favor of SCSI options.
>
> Sigh. :-(
>
> 				Jordan

Actually, if you scour around for prices, I have found that at some online
auctions, if you catch it right, they have pretty decent deals on certain
equip. (granted, most of the stuff is normal everyday run-of-the-mill, and
a lot of it is used).  I found one that has a rather large supply of IBM
OEM SCSI-II drives (some narrow, some wide), and the going price is around
$700 for a 9.1 Gb drive.  Compared to the $550 for 6.1 Gb up there, that
isn't bad at all.

Point in case though, personally.  I had a 1-Gb SCSI Seagate in my
personal machine, but 'donated' it to the company when I got a 2.5 Gb IDE
for $160 and a 3.1 Gb for $190 (the only problem is now i don't know what
to do with all the room ;) )

The price I paid for the amount of space I got, I couldn't pass it up.
Especially because it now allows me to dedicate drives, not just
partitions to different O.S.'s (and if anyone knows where I could find
decent accounting software for FreeBSD, I could stick an M-80 under the
Win95 drive and see where _it_ wants to go today.)

Don't get me wrong, I love the spped, reliability and ease of use of SCSI
devices, but nowadays when you compare the extra money for most devices to
the amount of moths flying out of the wallet, the moths usually win.

Just my $.02

-Gary Margiotta
TBE Internet Services
http://www.tbe.net