Date:      Sun, 7 Sep 1997 17:45:27 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Martin Jangowski <bsd@birdland.rhein-neckar.de>
To:        Mike Zanker <A.M.Zanker@open.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tracking 2.2

| Martin Jangowski              E-Mail: maja@birdland.rhein-neckar.de |
| Voice: +49 621/53 95 06                       Fax: +49 621/53 95 07 |
| Snail Mail: Koenigsbacher Str. 16      D-67067 Ludwigshafen Germany |
| RNInet e.V.                                   Rhein-Neckar Internet |

On Sun, 7 Sep 1997, Mike Zanker wrote:

> Having installed FreeBSD 2.2.2 from the WC CDs I'd now like to start
> tracking the stable 2.2 source. I've read handbook and FAQ but I'm still a
> little unsure where to start. Is it just a case of getting the latest 30+
> MB source distribution then keeping up to date with the patches?

Nope. Read the handbook (the part about CVSup), get the correct packet of
cvsup for your system (there are packets for machines with and without X)
and get the tree with RELENG_2_2 (thats 2.2-stable). Make world after
running cvsup.

> I did a "make world" on my 2.2.2 system just to make sure that there were
> no nasty surprises. Everything worked fine except that I noticed that it
> didn't build a kernel. This made me wonder, then, if I download the latest
> stable 2.2 code which do I build and install first, the kernel or the
> binaries?

In /usr/src/sys/i386/conf are the config-files for the kernel(s). Since
you are free to name your kernel as you like, it isn't build
automagically. I'd build the kernel (with config <name> and compiling it)
after a successfull "make world".

Martin