Date:      Fri, 17 Apr 1998 07:56:24 -0700
From:      Don Wilde <dwilde1@ibm.net>
To:        rse@engelschall.com
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@time.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: SPECweb96 challenge

Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 16, 1998, Don Wilde wrote:
>
> > > Novell Web Server Pushes Envelope
> > >
> > >    Novell, Inc. reached a SPECweb96 benchmark of 1639 running
> > >    intraNetWare 4.11 on a single processor Compaq ProLiant 3000.
> >
> > I saw this in Internet Alert, an e-mail newsletter. Since we know FreeBSD
> > excells as a webserver under load, this is our opportunity to set up to shoot
> > some crows out of the sky. I don't personally like ProLiant servers, but let's
> > see if we can approximate their hardware and tune our software -- out of the
> > box, no source-code tweaks -- to dominate this SPEC. Have you looked at it?
> >
> > 1) Obtain SPECweb96 test guidelines
> > 2) Obtain equivalent test platform hardware
> > 3) Configure FreeBSD for max serving performance
> > 4) Configure Apache for max serving performance
> > 5) Run test
> > 6) Promote results heavily!!!!!
> >
> > My best hardware is a PPro180 with 64MB, so I don't have a new enough machine,
> > but I think this is exactly the kind of thing we FreeBSD advocates need to do to
> > promote FreeBSD -- and get the IW's and NWW's and Byte's to acknowledge us. If
> > we've got TBDOSITW, let's _prove_ it.
>
> There is only one point you missed: the SPECweb96 benchmark costs $800 :-(
>
>                                        Ralf S. Engelschall
>                                        rse@engelschall.com
>                                        www.engelschall.com

Between apache and freebsd we can't find $800? I'm going to ask Jordan
if we can approach this from the central POV by putting out an official
challenge call on the site and on -questions, -newbies and -chat, and
where we can send the money. Ralf, will you find out the rest of the
particulars as to what we need to actually perform a rigorous test that
we can put side-by-side with the payware geeks?

I'm sure Jordan's a bit miffed that they held a freeware conference in
his back yard and didn't even invite him. This is the kind of thing we
all need to do to get noticed. I for one am glad to contribute to things
like this, even if it means my software now 'costs money'. A few press
releases and documented wins will do more for us than all the advocacy
chatter in the whole usenet. I think WC CDROM has done plenty to forward
the cause, I don't want to ask them to pay for it.

Where do I send my $50, Jordan? In a general sense that info should be
posted on the site, but here's a genuine Challenge to pursue. I think we
should do it!!!!