Date:      Tue, 18 Nov 1997 17:59:46 -0700 (MST)
From:      Charles Mott <cmott@srv.net>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The Language Barrier [Was: Could FreeBSD be ...]

On Tue, 18 Nov 1997, James Raynard wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 18, 1997 at 07:49:46AM +0100, Ollivier Robert wrote:
> > According to Sean Eric Fagan:
> > > I still think Gaelic is going to make a comeback as *the* language of
> > > choice for the 21st century.
> >
> > As a breton myself, I'd like to see that too :-)
>
> As an Englishman living in Scotland, so would I!  Sadly there are only
> 65,000 native speakers left here, most of them elderly, so the
> outlook isn't too good (unlike Ireland, where it's much healthier).

It is remarkable that after more than two thousand years of domination by
Romans, Scandinavian raiders, Franks, Saxons, Normans, English and French
feudal aristocracies and now finally television and radio, that the Gaelic
(Celtic?) languages have actually survived.  One has to have a certain
level of respect for that.

Now, of course, we probably will discover that several prominent FreeBSD
contributors are secretly Druid high priests.

Charles Mott