Date:      Thu, 12 Aug 1999 07:09:47 -0600
From:      Matt Meola <mmeola@uswest.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Having both SCSI and IDE hard disks...

If someone comes to you, and asks,

"Hey, I've got a SCSI system, but EIDE drives are so cheap, that I'd like
to buy one for more space on my machine.  Will FreeBSD handle this?"

Run away.  Run _far_ away.  Either that, or say, "Ni!" to him.

I am traveling down this primrose path; or, perhaps more accurately, I
am continually tripping at the trailhead.  Two years ago, I built a
SCSI system with a 2.1G IBM drive; 800M for Ebola95 and 1.2G for
FreeBSD.  Having little space on either partition, and seeing the
prices of EIDE drives come down, I bought a Maxtor 17.2G.

I've tried:
  o A 4G partition for Ebola95, with th rest for FreeBSD;
  o Dangerously dedicated FreeBSD on the whole EIDE drive;
  o FreeBSD consuming all of wd0, but not "dangerously dedicated".

In each case, booteasy simply won't allow me to boot FreeBSD from wd0.
I've got an Award BIOS, which allows me to boot from the SCSI drive
first; a real life-saver.  If I do that, then I get an "F5 drive 2"
prompt, along with the normal "F1 Dos" and "F2 FreeBSD" prompts.

With dangerously dedicated mode, if I hit F5, I'll get "F1 FreeBSD" and
"F5 drive 1"; F1 does nothing (actually, the menu comes up again).

With an MBR on wd0, booteasy just beeps at me when I try to boot
FreeBSD from that drive.

My preference is not to have to reinstall Ebola95; toward that end, my
ultimate goal would be to boot FreeBSD from wd0 and Ebola95 from da0.
I am told, however, that Ebola must boot from the "first" disk; but
that's OK, I can boot SCSI,C,A -- just as long as I can boot FreeBSD
from wd0.

Any insight would be much appreciated.  An remember, if you're
contemplating something like this -- "Ni!"

--
Matt Meola     Bailey, Colorado
NRA Life Member