Date:      Tue, 13 Dec 2005 16:25:43 -0600
From:      Kevin Kinsey <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        Jose Borquez <bsdlists@sbcglobal.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Order of installation for Apache, PHP, IMAP, and MySQL

Jose Borquez wrote:

> I need to install and configure Apache, PHP, IMAP, and MySQL because
> I would like to install Group Office which is a groupware application
> sweet.
> I need to know if there is a specific order that I need to install the
> applications listed above.  Any help on this would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Thank you in advance,
> Jose

Installing PHP (/usr/ports/lang/php$n) will pull in Apache 1.3 by
default, and client libraries for IMAP support and MySQL support when
you install (/usr/ports/lang/php$n-extensions).

I'm assuming though, that you mean an IMAP *server* and a MySQL
*server*; in which case I'd do either of those first, and followup with
PHP and php-extensions.

In any case, installing should be as simple as moving to the appropriate
directory under /usr/ports, and typing (as root) "make install clean" at
a command prompt.  Although it'll be boring, I'd suggest sitting in the
general vicinity of your terminal, as, if this is a fresh install, you
will be prompted for configuration by a "curses" mode options menu.

You can, however, get around this by doing all your config on the
command-line; but that's a rather lengthy command string, and might
take almost as much time to discover all the perfect values for.

The good news:  should you desire to reinstall the apps, the
configuration should be saved for you.  See ports(7) for more
information.

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey