Date:      Sun, 11 Jun 2000 00:55:22 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        lvereen@cmp.com
Cc:        awolfe@cmp.com
Subject:   Revisionism

Mr. Vereen,

I am writing you directly because neither the print version nor the
on-line version of your magazine, Embedded Systems Programming,
includes information on who to contact for errors and omissions.  I am
writing about Mr. Alexander Wolfe's article, "Alliances Drive Embedded
Linux Toward Prime Time" in Vol.  13 no. 6, June 2000.

While generally factual and well written, Mr. Wolfe repeats a bit of
revisionism that I must ask you to correct.  In the article he writes

	And because Linux is "open source" -- a concept pioneered by
	the Cambridge, MA Free Software Foundation...

This is patently untrue.  Both the UNIX /usr/group and the Berkeley
Software Distributions existed for many years before the FSF and the
Gnu Project were created.  Richard M. Stallman did NOT create the
concept of open source software, his "innovation" was to use the
distribution of open source software to advance his political agenda.
Please clarify this situation for your readers.

And perhaps while we're at it, Mr. Wolfe can clarify what the vendor
of that internet radio is supposed to do when the user upgrades it to
kernel 2.4.33 and glibc 6.1.43 and it no longer works?