Date:      Wed, 15 May 1996 18:06:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>
To:        Brian Tao <taob@io.org>
Cc:        "Amancio Hasty Jr." <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>, FREEBSD-CHAT-L <freebsd-chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 3 terabytes on one server? (was Re: more than 32 scsi disks on a  single machine ?)

On Mon, 13 May 1996, Brian Tao wrote:

>     Whether I use '2' or '1' for the non-root disks, it takes 5:50 to
> fsck the four drives.  sd1 to sd3 are 4GB drives, so parallelizing an
> fsck should have a noticeable difference.  I'm invoking it as "fsck -y"
> as well as "fsck -y -l 10".  What am I missing?

	You aren't running fsck in "preen mode" (fsck -p)...

>From the man page:

SYNOPSIS
     fsck -p [-f] [-m mode]
     fsck [-b block#] [-c level] [-l maxparallel] [-y] [-n] [-m mode]
          [filesystem] ...

DESCRIPTION
     The first form of fsck preens a standard set of filesystems or the speci-
     fied filesystems.  It is normally used in the script /etc/rc during auto-
     matic reboot.  Here fsck reads the table /etc/fstab to determine which
     filesystems to check.  Only partitions in fstab that are mounted ``rw,''
     ``rq'' or ``ro'' and that have non-zero pass number are checked.
     Filesystems with pass number 1 (normally just the root filesystem) are
     checked one at a time.  When pass 1 completes, all remaining filesystems
     are checked, running one process per disk drive.  The disk drive contain-

Marc G. Fournier                                  scrappy@ki.net
Systems Administrator @ ki.net               scrappy@freebsd.org