Date:      Mon, 1 Jun 1998 00:24:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
To:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AlphaBIOS documentation

On Mon, 1 Jun 1998, Doug Rabson wrote:

> Don't worry, I am fully aware of the PALcode problem.  I think it will be
> a far easier problem to deal with the bootstrap installing PALcode than
> for it to have a complete set of device drivers.  There is plenty of
> PALcode source in milo.

There's plenty of device driver source code in Linux and NetBSD, too. :-)

My point is, every time a new type of Alpha comes along, you have
to write new PALcode and compile it in to the boot loader. This is
not really all that different than having to write and compile in
a new device driver every time a new device comes along.

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca	   Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.	   Through infinite mist, software reverberates