Date:      Sun, 3 Jun 2001 01:22:07 -0500
From:      Steve Price <steve@havk.org>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vinum panic

On Sun, Jun 03, 2001 at 10:17:56AM +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:

> > vinum
> > vinum -> resetconfig
> > vinum -> saveconfig
> > vinum -> stop
> > newfs /dev/da1s1e
> > newfs /dev/da2s1e
> > newfs /dev/da3s1e
> > newfs /dev/da4s1e
> > newfs /dev/da5s1e
>
> So far all of this is unnecessary.

Right.  I realize that now after having tried to no avail to get
vinum to forget about previous attempts that failed or crashed
this box.  It essentially went like this.

Try to create a RAID5 volume.  Panic.  Okay so take a couple of
steps back and create a RAID1 volume.  That worked.  Okay now
try to get vinum to forget about that configuration and do a
RAID10 configuration now.  No dice.  It refused to forget about
the previous RAID1 configuration.  I did all of the above in
a number different orders and nothing worked.  Not even redoing
the RAID1 configuration that had worked before.

> Well, I'd start off by reading the section DEBUGGING PROBLEMS WITH
> VINUM in vinum(4), or http://www.vinumvm.org/vinum/how-to-debug.html,
> or both.  Basically, I have almost no information to go on.  What was
> the panic?

Thanks for the reply Greg.  I finally figured out how to make it
work.  Basically I newfs'd the partitions, ran 'vinum create', and
then changed the type to vinum.  This was the only way I could get
vinum to not try to "add on" to my previous failed attempts.  It
seems to work great so I'm going to leave well enough alone until
I get another box with a similar setup that I can play with.

Is there a better way than 'vinum resetconfig' to get vinum to
forget everything you've told it about volumes, plexes, disks, ...
than resorting to what I did?  The nature of the description in
the manpage that I read at least a dozen times in the last couple
of days lead me to believe this would do what I wanted, but try
as I might it didn't do what I expected nor what I interpreted
the manpage said it did.

One thing that I failed to mention in the previous post was that
despite having run 'vinum resetconfig', 'vinum dumpconfig' still
returned information that looked like it was from previous attempts.
Not setting the partition/slice type to vinum until after I ran
'vinum create' seems to have worked around this.

Thanks.

-steve