Date:      Fri, 19 Mar 2004 23:21:59 +1100
From:      "Joe Shevland" <joe.shevland@e-wise.com>
To:        <freebsd-java@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: tomcat41 producing 28 java daemons

OK, here's my thoughts, if they're unwelcome, so be it. I really do
apologize if its been covered before (in a bikeshed manner). I'll still be
open to abuse if its constructive, I may well have missed out on a few
months worths of discussion. I'm not really apologizing about that though,
some ppl are getting too hung up on things lately.

Java Libraries
--------------

I personally feel better following some sort of BSD scheme with libraries,
so I'm proposing all shared Java libraries get installed under:

/usr/lib/java/* (and here I show neophyteness, should that be
/usr/local/java/lib/* or something)

The important point here is versioning... I think each library must strictly
obey a versioning scheme, my personal preference if a four point one:

<MAJOR_RELEASE>_<MINOR_RELEASE>_<PATCH_RELEASE>_<BUILD_RELEASE>

in terms of versioning names... Java could care less about the names, but we
can... they should get picked up in the classpath by making sense of the
versioning.

That's really been about the only trouble I've had with Java (its various
libraries), the different JDK's are another matter and I think that needs
rationalising... e.g. hopefully we'll get to an endgame where the Linux JDK
is totally redundant.

Anyway, these are all just random thoughts, I hope I haven't offended anyone
thats already put in a large amount of work, and slainte :)

Cheers,
Joe