Date:      Mon, 04 Nov 1996 23:52:45 -0800
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
To:        Veggy Vinny <richardc@csua.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /usr/obj size

>	On the topic of hard disks, what are the minimum requirements to
>run a FreeBSD machine as a news server with a full news feed in terms of
>CPU, memory, HD Storage and does it have to be on several HD instead of
>multiple large capacity drives such as 9 gig drives?

You'd serve yourself well to peruse http://www.freebsd.org/ and look
for the newsgroup archives.  Joe Greco, and others, have posted much
invaluable information about running large news servers.  My guess is
that you'd want to start with the isp list, then maybe hackers and/or
stable.  Look specifically for posts from Joe Greco, as he has been
the most vocal on this topic, lately.

To get you started, he recommends many smaller drives, probably 2GB
each, striped with ccd, across multiple SCSI controllers, if possible.
NCR/Symbios 53c8xx cards or Adaptec 2940/3940 cards would work best
(until the BusLogic driver gets tagged-command-queuing, at which time
it theoretically should be as good as the other two).

  Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net