Date:      Fri, 13 Jul 2001 19:46:04 +1000 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
Cc:        Jim Bryant <kc5vdj@yahoo.com>, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: oddity with dump(8) or sa(4) in -current

On Thu, 12 Jul 2001, Matthew Jacob wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Jul 2001, Jim Bryant wrote:
> > On a side note, what happened to the "raw" device nodes [/dev/*rsa*]? I'm guessing that the lack of "raw" nodes doesn't make a diff,
> > as /dev/*sa* are all character-mode devices.
>
> No, all devices are block devices now. Linux has no raw, FreeBSD has no
> cooked. Feh.

No.  No devices are block devices now (or yesterday; block devices
went away in 4.0).  Linux has no character disk devices; FreeBSD has
no block disk devices.  Feh.  Tapes are a little different from disks.
Neither FreeBSD nor Linux has block tape devices, but FreeBSD used to
have them.  /dev/*rsa* didn't go away; they were just renamed to
/dev/*sa*.  The old /dev/*sa* went away. :-)

Bruce