Date:      Sun, 24 Nov 1996 19:35:52 -0500
From:      Lotus_Mail_Exchange@CSERVE4.CCMAIL.compuserve.com
To:        "INTERNET:hackers@freefall.freebsd.org" <hackers@freefall.freebsd.org>
Subject:   NON-DELIVERY of:  hackers-digest V1 #1657

Sender: owner-hackers-digest@freefall.freebsd.org
From: <owner-hackers-digest@freefall.freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 15:22:18 -0800 (PST)
To: freebsd-hackers-digest@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   hackers-digest V1 #1657

hackers-digest           Tuesday, 19 November 1996     Volume 01 : Number 1657

In this issue:
Re: Who needs Perl? We do!
Re: Who needs Perl? We do!
Re: Who needs Perl? We do!
Re: Turbo FreeBSD CD
Re: Who needs Perl?  We do!
Re: Turbo FreeBSD CD
Kernel calls - args in registers
Re: Who needs Perl?  We do!
Re: Who needs Perl? We do!
Re: Who needs Perl? We do!
Re: Turbo FreeBSD CD
Ipx to ip routing
Re: Announce: Alternative Mail Archive
Re: Who needs Perl?  We do!
Re: Creating a device driv., Pb with outb, outw...
Re: Kernel calls - args in registers
Re: Ipx to ip routing
Re: Who needs Perl?  We do!
Re: Who needs Perl?  We do!

From: Paul Richards <paul@originat.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 20:10:18 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: Re: Who needs Perl? We do!

> > This is the rub.  PERL is not stable over the release cycle period for
> > FreeBSD.  People are *always* complaining "why don't you upgrade your
> > PERL?", even when it it well known that an upgrade frequently requires
> > updating all of the PERL-dependent scripts to the new syntax, since
> > the syntax is not sufficiently stable.
>
> I take exception to this.  The only syntax changes were from perl4 -> perl5,
> and were extremely minor.  (actually syntax cleanup, to be pedantic).  There
> haven't been any syntax changes internal to the p5 releases, unless you count
> the addition of new features.

The converse is infact generally true. You can run perl4 scripts under perl5
with very minor changes. Most perl5 scripts have no chance of being
back-ported to perl4. Things have changed a lot. Unless you're writing
very basic scripts you're going to be using all the new features like
dereferencing, new C-like function syntax, prototypes (well actually that's
a 5.003 thing) and objects. It's almost certainly the case that you're going
to be making heavy use of modules too.

Really, perl4 is a dead language.

- --
  Paul Richards, Originative Solutions Ltd.
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 1225 447500 (work)