Date:      Mon, 17 Jun 1996 12:58:39 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        sef@kithrup.com (Sean Eric Fagan)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tape drive questions/recommendations

Sean Eric Fagan stands accused of saying:

> >> My oldish DAT tape drive is dead.  Bugger.
> >Sadness.  What brand?  How did it die?
>
> It *was* a modified Wang drive.  It did not start out life as a SCSI drive
> -- there is a daughterboard attached to it with a SCSI interface.

Ooh!  Is the daughterboard anything recognisable? (Does it have Emulex labels
on it, for example?)

> The scsi part seems to be what has died.   I can put a tape in, and eject it
> by pressing the eject button, but it is not recognized by the 1542 during
> probing, and its access light (the only light it has ;)) never comes on.
>
> I figure that it is, basicly, dead.

Sounds pretty final to me too.

> >Avoid Conner like the plague.  Archive are OK, so are HP, so are Sony, so
> >are the WangDAT units.  The Exabyte is a pretty OK unit, but the 8mm
> >mechanicals aren't quite as robust as the DATs.
>
> The ExaByte 2501 is, according to the freebsd hardware doc, not an 8mm
> drive.  Merde merde merde merde merde.  The Connor probably isn't, either,
> so that rules *that* out.

Hang on.  I was under the impression that the 2501 was one of the single-board
8mm units; I make this mistake all the time.  The 8xxx series are the 8mm
units, so ignore the comment about 8mm mechanicals.

> That leaves the HP, which I *know* is a true DAT drive (I've had lots of
> experience, both good and bad :() with HP DAT drives.  The Archive, again, I
> know nothing about, and Disk Drive Depot was closed today (bloody; I'll be
> going tomorrow).

All of the units you've listed are 'true' 4mm DAT units.  I'm no fan of
Exabytes, as they have a fascist repair policy and their spare parts are
astronomically expensive 8(, so keep on ignoring them 8)

> One of my major concerns is price, obviously.  The more I spend on a tape
> drive, the more of a problem I have with a monitor.

Natch.  On those criteria, take the cheapest of the Archive/HP/Sony that
you can get 8)

> NCA (a local store, for those who don't know ;)) has WangDAT units for close
> to $1k (a bit above it, I think).

Ow!