Date:      Fri, 29 Nov 1996 01:12:21 +0100
From:      Arve Ronning <arver@sn.no>
To:        sos@freebsd.org
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, hackers@freebsd.org, Arve.Ronning@alcatel.no
Subject:   Re: IDE CDROM failure report..[And SPEAK UP NOW, DAMN IT!]

jkh wrote:

[snip]
> Now with regard to that "SPEAK UP NOW, DAMN IT!" in the subject
> line...
>
> Folks, I must note that I have received approximately *two* reports of
> bogus IDE CDROM operation when I *know* that every release which rolls
> around has far more than 2 people complaining about this problem.
[snip]

Ok, here's the third report:
Using 2.2-ALPHA boot & fixit floppies and Hitachi CDR-7730 4x (which fails)

Probe says:
wdc1: unit 1 (atapi): <HITACHI CDR-7730/0008a>, removable, iordy
wcd0: 689Kb/sec, 128Kb cache, audio play, 128 volume levels, ejectable tray
wcd0: medium type unknown, unlocked

Debug screen (on Alt-F2) says
DEBUG: Try for wcd0c returns errno 2
DEBUG: Found a device of type CDROM named: wcd0c

Mounting fixit.flp for testing:
Fixit# mount_cd9660 /dev/wcd0c /mnt
mount_cd9660: /dev/wcd0c: Input/output error
Fixit#

The solution: use the patch described in pr i386/1556
(which IMHO will also solve a number of other detect&mount&use
problems).

> Thank you!
>
>                                         Jordan

You're welcome!