Date:      Tue, 9 Jan 1996 09:21:30 -0800 (PST)
From:      -Vince- <vince@apollo.COSC.GOV>
To:        Stefan Esser <se@zpr.uni-koeln.de>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: -current kernel problems

On Tue, 9 Jan 1996, Stefan Esser wrote:

> On Jan 8, 16:34, -Vince- wrote:
> } Subject: Re: -current kernel problems
> } On Sun, 7 Jan 1996, Stefan Esser wrote:
>
> } > - Did you manage to install a more recent kernel ?
> }
> } 	Yep and it is working now...
>
> Fine!

	Thanks!

> } > - Do you use any LKM's ?
> } >   (A make world might fail to rebuild a LKM, and
> } >    the incompatible LKM from an earlier build might
> } >    be left alone in /lkm.)
> }
> } 	Hmmm, what are LKM's anyways because I had to delete everything
> } in /lkm and then rebuild the lkm directory from /usr/src/lkm since it
> } seemed like /lkm was all dated the same as the last make world.
>
> Well, you ALWAYS have to rebuild all LKMs, if any kernel
> data structures change! LKMs are Loadable Kernel Mdoules,
> i.e. parts of the kernel that can later be loaded into
> a running system to extend its functionality.

	Hmmm, do you have to delete all the LKM's first since it didn't work
when I just rebuilt it without deleting it.

> I.e. if you don't have NFS compiled into your kernel, then
> NFS mounting some remote file system will first load the
> NFS LKM (and crash your system, if the two don't match!).
>
> } > - Can you boot single user (enter "-s" at the "Boot: "
> } >   prompt, fsck the file systems and mount (r/o) your
> } >   /var partition ?
> }
> } 	Yep, this works fine.  There is a problem however when I started up:
> } starting local daemons:
> } /usr/sbin/ncrcontrol: no symbol "_ncrp" in "/kernel"
> }
> } 	Any ideas?
>
> Yes, and I thought I fixed this a few days ago.
> I remember typing the commit message ...
>
> Somebody made many driver symbols "static" (and this was a
> very good thing!), but seems to have missed the fact, that
> "nncr" is required for communication between ncrcontrol and
> the NCR driver (well, and that was not obvious :)
>
> Well, I just checked the CVS log, and I remember, that the
> commit was interrupted due to a loss of the TELNET connection.
>
> I'll try the commit later today, again. Now the line quality
> is just too bad (tens of seconds delay ... )

	Oh okay.... Thanks!  Just wanted to let you know =)

Cheers,
-Vince- vince@COSC.GOV - GUS Mailing Lists Admin - http://www.COSC.GOV/~vince
UC Berkeley AstroPhysics - Electrical Engineering (Honorary B.S.)
Chabot Observatory & Science Center - Board of Advisors
Running FreeBSD - Real UN*X for Free!
Linda Wong/Vivian Chow/Hacken Lee/Danny Chan/Priscilla Chan Fan Club
Mailing Lists Admin