Date:      Mon, 2 Dec 2002 13:54:00 +0100
From:      Oliver Schonefeld <oschonef@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   "no timer interrupts" message on PC164LX in SRM console

Hello freebsd-alpha,

I recently got a DEC 164LX mainboard with a 533 CPU and 265 MB Ram.
The board came with the AlphaBIOS so I installed the latest SRM firmware.
When booting FreeBSD (4.7-STABLE, cvsupped 30. Nov. 2002 0:00 GMT) I see
these stange "*** no timer interrupts on CPU 0 ***" messages. Since Freebsd
runs fine, besides of the X11 Problems I need to evaluate a litte more
(unpected machine check on XServer start), I wonder if this message indicates
something bad and how it can be avoided.

This is the output of my systems configuration:
>>>show conf
                        Digital AlphaPC 164LX 533 MHz

SRM Console V5.8-1              OpenVMS PALcode V1.21-2, Digital UNIX
PALcode V1.23-2

SROM Revision: 3.1.2
Alpha 21164A-2
Pyxis ASIC Pass 2

MEMORY

256 MBytes of system memory

Bank #       Size     Base Addr
------    ----------  ---------
  0         128 MB    000000000
  1         128 MB    008000000

Total Bad Pages = 0
Total Good Memory = 256 MBytes

Bcache Size = 2 MB

PCI Bus
     Bus 00  Slot 06: Adaptec AIC-7880
                                   pka0.7.0.6.0          SCSI Bus ID 7
                                   dka0.0.0.6.0           IBM DCAS-32160W
                                   dka200.2.0.6.0         PLEXTOR CD-ROM
PX-32
     Bus 00  Slot 07: DE500-BA Network Controller
                                   ewa0.0.0.7.0          08-00-2B-C3-0B-76
     Bus 00  Slot 08: Intel 82378
                                                         Bridge to Bus 1, ISA
     Bus 00  Slot 09: 051B102B/0100102B

     Bus 00  Slot 11: CMD PCI0646 IDE
                                   dqa.0.0.11.0
ISA
Slot    Device  Name            Type         Enabled  BaseAddr  IRQ     DMA
0
        0       MOUSE           Embedded        Yes     60      12
        1       KBD             Embedded        Yes     60      1
        2       COM1            Embedded        Yes     3f8     4
        3       COM2            Embedded        Yes     2f8     3
        4       LPT1            Embedded        Yes     3bc     7
        5       FLOPPY          Embedded        Yes     3f0     6       2

Regards,
Oliver Schonefeld