Date:      Sun, 13 Apr 1997 16:06:56 -0700
From:      Pedro Giffuni <pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   [Fwd: Re: Commercial vendors registry]

--------------546B1C7879D5

This got out of the list (I forgot to CC it), sorry

--------------546B1C7879D5

Date: Sun, 13 Apr 1997 12:59:26 -0400
To: Pedro Giffuni <pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co>
From: dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
Subject: Re: Commercial vendors registry

At 09:27 PM 4/12/97 -0700, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
>dennis wrote:
>>
>> What does selling Freebsd-only products have to do with anything?
>That the idea of a commercial registry :-), we are not going to register
>products for other platforms we can't emulate, are we ?
>> And who said anything about lowering costs. There are (at least) 2
>> strategies for selling product...there's cheap wine and fine wine. If
>> you are looking for vendors to sell cheap wine for freebsd, then you
>> are correct.
>>
>It's a matter of simple economy, if the good wine has a very low price
>it *might* sell better than both the cheapest (MS-like) or the finest
>(SGI-like).

Thats a rather poor example. Sure, you'd buy a Mercedes if it cost the same
as a Saturn, but realistically it costs more to build and maintain a Mercedes
and its worth it, if you can afford it. Your premise that selling *more* is
the
goal is defective...selling fewer at a higher margin is the *other*
strategy that
I was referring to. If you just want to get drunk, then buy the cheap
stuff. Same
goes for networking products.

Dennis

--------------546B1C7879D5--