Date:      Thu, 17 Apr 1997 09:53:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        jbryant@tfs.net, terry@lambert.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: On Holy Wars, and a Plea for Peace [sorry Danny, wherever you are, but the title fits]...

Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > i'll add another few items to my list from last night...
> >
> > 	1). chop the price in half to $19.95.
>
> It wouldn't help.  This would reduce FreeBSD to the price of the
> shovelware CDs, and Walnut Creek CDROM has done quite a bit of price
> experimentation here.  Every CD they've discounted this steeply has
> suffered a _decline_ in sales rather than what you'd expect.  There is
> some odd aspect of human nature which works against making things too
> cheap - the product suddenly becomes equated with "junk" or something.

	it called "buy-in".  the scenario runs like this (bare with me
	and i wont mentions "transitive closure").

	item costs a lot.
	person cant tell if its better or worse than another item.
	person buys item.
	item must be good (else person looks like fool).
	person recommentds item to all his friends.
	loop

	if it costs more it MUST be better.
	else how could they stay in business, right?  right!

jmb