Date:      Thu, 20 Nov 1997 15:37:06 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Tom T. Thai" <tomthai@future.net>
To:        linuxisp@friendly.jeffnet.org, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   radiusclient users?

could I get a show of hands to see who uses radiusclient (by Lars),
patched ppp2.2.0f (by Godec, and Map)?

I'm writing documentation for it and have lots of questions.  There
currently seems to be lots of patches and login.radius around, and I want
to pull them all together.

I think this would be very helpful for everyone who uses radiusclient.
I'm aware of portslave also, but I think radiusclient is more modular so
I am leaning toward radiusclient.

Here one interesting thing I just found out when I was playing around with
mgetty+autoppp, radiusclient, and pppd-radius:

Assume auto ppp detection is in progress and mgetty passes the call to
pppd-radius.  Even though pppd-radius doesn't actually need login.radius,
login.radius should still exit in the path for pppd-radius to authenticate
the user.

Here is a would be FAQ:

Assume you are running RADIUS2.0.1 and the user profile uses
Framed-IP-Address = 255.255.255.254 or Framed-IP-Address =
255.255.255.255, how do you tell pppd-radius to assign the proper IP?  In
the first case, radiusclient or pppd-radius have to pick an available IP
from an assigned IP pool just like the Portmasters or use the port IP
from /etc/ppp/options.ttyR0 or so. In the second case,
radiusclient/pppd-radius should use the "user" picked IP.  Currently
radiusclient/pppd-radius doesn't support that directly, but I suppose you
could parse the parameter using login.radius (but not with the current
radiusd-ppp, unless it's thru ip-up, etc.)

Also, some of you probably do some kind of filtering and such...

So let's see a show of hand that is willing to help.  I'll post my work in
progress at http://www.future.net/~tomthai/radius.

Thomas T. Thai          Infomedia Interactive Communications
tom@iic.net             TEL 612.376.9090 * FAX 612.376.9087