Date:      Fri, 29 Nov 1996 11:24:30 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, imp@village.org
Subject:   Re: eject for JAZ drives

J Wunsch stands accused of saying:
> As Jason Thorpe wrote:
>
> >  > I wanna eject my jaz drive w/o stooping?  Can I do it via software?
> >
> > It's pretty simple... if your sd driver supports something like the
> > DIOCLOCK and DIOCEJECT ioctls in NetBSD... If it does, you should be
> > able to fairly easily adapt NetBSD's eject(1) program.
>
> That's what we've got the `od' driver for.  Basically similar things,
> though.
>
> OTOH, if the driver doesn't support it, you can still do:
>
> 	scsi -f /dev/rsd1.ctl -c "1b 0 0 0 2 0"

Unless there's a significant difference between the rsd1.ctl and rsd1c
device for scsi(8)'s purposes, this doesn't work.

Some interesting observations based on my testing this morning :

- setting the 'immediate' bit in the above command crashes the 'ncr'
  driver ("1b 1 0 0 2 0"); I get timeouts and system death.
- sending a short command causes the system to eventually grind to a
  halt ("1b 0 0 0 2") (was under X so I didn't see any console messages).

And one for the curiosity file :

- With multiple NCR's in the system, you need to set the "Master
  arbitration" PCI option to "strong" (not sure what the correct PCI
  jargon is here), or heavy activity on multiple controllers will cause
  the system to freeze.