Date:      Wed, 22 Nov 1995 11:08:32 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        briggs@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us (Allen Briggs)
Cc:        chuckr@glue.umd.edu, terry@lambert.org, jkh@time.cdrom.com, platforms@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Recommended by someone who knows this stuff.

> > I'd heard that no NetBSD existed because of the lack of info from Apple,
> > regarding their PowerPC systems.  Would this change that situation?
>
> This will not change the situation for 1st generation PowerMacs.  2nd
> generation PowerMacs will benefit somewhat from this info (a good bit of
> the technology described in "Macintosh Technology in CHRP" is really
> existing hardware (or certainly close to it).

What he said.

> BTW, the piece(s?) that I was looking for [on-line pointers to] are:
>
> CHRP Bibliography:
> 	[20] PowerPC Microprocessor Common Hardware Reference Platform:
> 		Hardware Technical Reference, available from IBM.
>
> Mac. Tech. in CHRP Bibliography:
> 	Apple/IBM/Motorola
> 		PowerPC Microprocessor Common Hardware Reference
> 		Platform: I/O Reference, presents architectural
> 		specifications for CHRP input and output facilities.
> 		It is available from IBM.

I think the first document is restricted deistribution.  I saw the
reference for the second, but I think you have to buy it from IBM; I
bought the CHRP (it hasn't arrived yet) because printing a PS copy
seemed to be a waste (overall cost is maybe higher than buying the
thing), because I wanted to get on their "CHRP stuff" mailing list
if they had one, and because the online HTML version of CHRP sucks
out for doing anything with it.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---