Date:      Fri, 1 Aug 2008 18:17:55 +0100
From:      Anton Shterenlikht <mexas@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        Richard Loken <richardlo@admin.athabascau.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: future for FBSD on alpha

On Fri, Aug 01, 2008 at 11:06:15AM -0600, Richard Loken wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Aug 2008, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
>
> > basically if you install port sysutils/bsdstats (just a shell script),
> > it will send a message from your box monthly to to bsdstats.org
> > with arch, os version, etc. The idea is to lobby software
> > producers into supporting their stuff on bsd by showing a large number
> > of live bsd systems.
>
> It is shame that I (and maybe a few thousand other Alpha FreeBSD users)
> hadn't heard of bsdstats and bsdstats.org five or more years ago.  I find
> it amazing that the open source OS's for Alphas are deemed dead befor HP
> themselves have finished filling in the grave.

I think it is still useful if people participate in bsdstats.org.
If not for alpha, then for FBSD sake. It would be great if more
commercial software was supported on FBSD (whatever architecture),
and for this bigger numbers are required.

> Fruther to this non-communication/miscommunication morass, I have never
> upgraded my PC164 beyond FreeBSD 5 because I was led to believe that X
> did not work on Alpha version 6.  Sheesh...  It is my home workstation so
> I want X on it and, yes, it does help to keep me warm in the winter.

I run xdmcp and X clients on ds10l - I like it.
I usually run servers on i386 FBSD-7 - no problems.

> As for winning the heating and power consumption war.  My work station here
> in the office is an Alphaserver 4100 with two 600MHz CPU's and 4G of memory
> running OpenVMS 7.3-1. I am used to the hum and it keeps the office warm.
>
> Why VMS?  Because I was abandoned by FreeBSD.

I also run a VMS 8.3 Alpha-I64 cluster under free educational licence.

--
Anton Shterenlikht
Room 2.6, Queen's Building