Date:      Sat, 24 Dec 2011 13:50:13 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        Maxim Ignatenko <gelraen.ua@gmail.com>, freebsd-rc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: conf/163508: [rc.subr] [patch] Add &quot; enable&quot; and &quot; disable&quot; commands to rc.subr

On 12/24/2011 08:46, Warner Losh wrote:
> Also, let's not reject  it before it is done.  Let's reject it when it actually doesn't handle the cases that are interesting.  No sense in cutting off a good feature because of some theoretical problem.  It is a problem we have sometimes in the project...

Warner,

You seemed to have missed the bit where I said, "We've already been down
this path once before, and it turns out to be way harder to do this
right than it looks at first glance."

Just as an example of potential problems, imagine a scenario where the
user has foo_enable=NO in rc.conf, but the service keeps starting up
anyway.

For better or worse rc.d offers a lot of flexibility in how services are
enabled. We've already heard from users who use those various
mechanisms, and don't want them removed/broken. Absent an overhaul of
the underlying structure of configuration files (which would violate one
or both of remove/break existing functionality) there is no way to add
this feature in a thorough manner. Adding it in a less-than-thorough
manner will cause more problems than it solves.

Which returns me to my original point, how hard is it to edit rc.conf
anyway?

Doug

--

		[^L]